Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Day On The Colorado River

Yesterday I decided to try out the speed of my new kayak. I wanted to make a run from Willow Beach up to the hot springs at the Arizona Campground in Black Canyon. It's about 8 miles and I thought I could make it in 2 hrs or less. The dam and the river had other ideas. I left about 9am and the current was the worst I've run into down there. I paddled for about 2 hours straight with no breaks and only made it 5.6 miles. It was obvious making it to the hot springs was not doable within my time limit so I found a nice beach to take a lunch break then had a relaxing paddle back. Ran into a couple fisherman, 1 kayaker and 2 guys canoe camping. Other than that, I had the river to myself. The weather was beautiful with just a slight breeze and temperatures in the mid 60s. A few miles up from Willow Beach I though I saw a white boat coming down river. It turned out to be the biggest bird I've ever seen on the water. This bird was HUGE! After I got home I looked it up in my bird book and I believe it was a Tundra Swan. They are not really common here. I'm assuming it took a wrong turn somewhere and stopped on the river for a break. On the way back to Willow Beach it was hanging out in a cove with some other ducks and Coots. I'll have to get down there next week and try to get some better photos, if it's still in the area.
Big bird....I mean REALLY BIG bird!





Inside the Emerald Cave

These guys were hanging out on the road to Willow Beach, just off the main highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment