Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Herons On The Lake

Yesterday was so nice I decided to spend another morning on the lake. While passing a small island I noticed what I believed to be a Heron perched on the ledge. I edged my kayak his way, pulled out my camera and started taking some pictures. As I drifted closer I noticed a second and third heron. Then two more. It seemed to be a flock. I suddenly looked up a bit to my left and there were 2 birds sitting on nests on the edge of the cliff. Not wanting to spook them off and endanger their eggs I slowly paddled back and left them to their nesting. I'll often see herons around the lake but I've never seen this many together before.
I believe these are Blue Herons but I'm not positive

Two mothers nesting

This Cormorant was hanging out on one of the buoys near the boat ramp.

No comments:

Post a Comment